Settlement Services Program
The Settlement Grants Program (SSP) is an integral part of MARSS' settlement services. We provide free settlement assistance through casework, provision of information, referrals and advocacy. To be eligible for SSP services the client must be a refugee or humanitarian visa holder, newly-arrived migrant on Family Visa with low English proficiency. Those in some other visa streams, including partner applicants of skilled visa categories and newly emerging communities in the ACT are deemed to be SSP clients. Clients accessing SSP services must be residing in Australia under five years.
We can assist you (free of charge) to:
- Look for accommodation
- Understand letters and documents
- Access education (enroll children in school, find appropriate English classes etc.)
- Access health services
- Deal with family issues and problems
- Deal with Centrelink and other government agencies
- Deal with banking and financial institutions
- Provide referrals to migration agents and lawyers
- Provide referrals to gain recognition of your overseas qualifications
- Provide referrals to other services
- Provide general settlement information
We also have a dedicated group of student volunteers who can assist our clients to fill in forms and paperwork. If you would like more information on volunteering please click here.
Outreach for 2016
Our outreach program includes weekly visits to Gungahlin Child and Family Centre , and fortnightly visits to West Belconnen Child and Family Centre and Tuggeranong Child and Family Centre. A MARSS SSP caseworker visits these centres at the times listed below. These outreach services are free, and the SSP caseworker that you'll see will be equipped to deal with any issues that can be dealt with normally at the MARSS office.
Outreach Times and Locations:
Tuesdays - 10:30am to 12:00pm - Gungahlin Child and Family Centre
Wednesday - 11:00am to 12:30pm - West Belconnen Child and Family Centre
Thursdays - 11:00am to 12:30pm - Tuggeranong Child and Family Centre
MARSS also hosts a number of information and orientation sessions that can help you get to know Canberra and everything it has to offer. For information regarding upcoming information sessions, please contact the office.